convenient string lessons
Experienced, patient teacher.
Teaching students of all ages
Violin students of all levels from beginner to professionals. However, I prefer teaching students who are serious about music, who are truly motivated to excel and are interested in learning advanced performance techniques and attaining a high level of artistry.
Traditional & Creative, modern techniques; improvisation and composition.
Viola, Cello & Piano beginner to intermediate.
Recording & Production. Modern musicianship technologies such as recording and production, working with midi, synthesizers, setting up your effects foot pedal and performing with your electric violin, working with effects, electronics and more.
- increase coordination
- learn best posture for producing great sound
- get relaxed technique, beautiful sound
- increase self-confidence and self-image
- improve your state of mind
- increase your proficiency, fluency
- learn advanced performance techniques for more difficult pieces
- improve note reading skills and knowledge of music theory
- learn different styles of music.
- win auditions & competitions
Advanced degrees from both New England Conservatory of Music & Yale University in violin
- Taught privately for many years
- Former faculty New England Conservatory Preparatory School, coach for BYSO chamber music, and NEC Summer Camp
- Formerly adjunct professor in College of Charleston, currently adjunct professor at Bunkerhill Community College.
- Taught in private schools and colleges including Atlantic Union College
- Many years of experience in professional orchestras and other performance organizations.
Music Studies Consultation
There is no charge for your consultation or "Get to know you" meeting. We'll meet an talk for 25 minutes.
When you sign up for your introductory consultation, I listen and we talk and figure out what the next step in your music-playing education will get you where you want to go with the instrument. We'll determine together what music, books, or other materials we'll use, to reach the goals that you identified.
Other benefits: free consultation about instruments and care and maintenance.
I include instruction in music theory as needed as part of the lesson.
Violinists & pianists:
Bring your violin (or shop for one here). Bring any sheet music you have worked on before, if any. Beginners will be assigned a new instruction book.
Sign up your free consultation. questions? email me.
enrolling for lessons
If you would like to learn more about enrolling for lessons with Harris Shilakowsky, register for enrollment info for the location you are interested in.
violin, viola, cello, bass, piano
Not convenient to travel to lessons? Sign up for online music lessons (all instruments listed above). New, improved video lessons use Zoom technology. We'll note your choice (in person or online) after you have booked.
...or fill out the form below to get in touch...